The George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences (GW SMHS) aims to develop a community of practice of educational scholars who are equipped with the skills needed to conduct rigorous educational scholarship. Originally developed at UCSF, the Educational Scholarship Conference (ESCape) was designed as “a weekly lunchtime 'brown bag' group scholarship consultation session that provides the opportunity to consult with education researchers and other colleagues in a friendly group setting.” GW SMHS aims to replicate UCSF’s ESCape and has convened a group to lead this effort: the Collaborative for Health Education Evaluation, Research, and Scholarship (CHEERS). CHEERS serves as an interdisciplinary, inter-professional forum to discuss, plan, and execute educational research and scholarship. Several members of this group have advanced training in medical and health professions education and will help to moderate the Education Research Consult sessions.
- Aim: To provide interprofessional and interdisciplinary peer consultation for education projects, conference abstracts/presentations, and manuscripts.
- Audience: Any student, trainee, or faculty member affiliated with SMHS.
- Format: Presenters will give an overview (10 minutes) of their project, posing specific questions for the group to consider and comment on.
CHEERS Steering Committee
Members of the CHEERS Steering Committee have advanced training in medical and health professions education research and will help to moderate the consultation service.
The CHEERS Steering Committee includes:
- Anthony Artino, PhD, Professor of Health, Human Function & Rehabilitation Sciences
- Zareen Zaidi, MD, PhD, Professor of Medicine
- Terry Kind, MD, MPH, Professor of Pediatrics
- Paige McDonald, EdD, Associate Professor of Clinical Research & Leadership
- Rohini Ganjoo, PhD, Associate Professor of Biomedical Laboratory Sciences
- Tom Harrod, Associate Director for Reference, Instruction & Access, Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library
Pat Latham, MD, EdD, Professor of Pathology, Associate Director for Education Research and Scholarship, Center for Faculty Excellence
- Upcoming Sessions
If you're interested, please feel free to join us. You don't have to present; you can simply listen or provide your own thoughts and insights. This is a collegial group that strives to support each other in the pursuit of high-quality education scholarship.
- June 26th, 12-1 pm
Please contact the CFE (email@example.com) to attend an open session, they are held virtually via Zoom.
- Request for Consultation
Ready to share your good idea?
To present at an upcoming CHEERS session, please fill out the form by clicking on the button below to provide the following information:
- Role: Faculty (designation), trainee, student
- Research Idea
- Research question (if you have one)