The Center for Faculty Excellence has many resources and programs to support faculty in their teaching. Please view the sections below to learn more about these opportunities.
If you would like an individualized consultation with CFE staff, please use this form to request a consult.
- Peer Assessments of Teaching
The Center for Faculty Excellence is pleased to offer the peer assessments of teaching to all regular status, full-time faculty in SMHS. The program is designed to enhance faculty teaching skills in the classroom, in conferences and small groups, or in clinical teaching at the bedside. An assessment of teaching is important to continued development as educators, and teaching assessments can be included in teaching portfolios used in the academic promotion process.
In offering this service, we utilize graduates of the Master Teacher Leadership Development Program who have offered their time to assist their peers. Faculty participation is voluntary; the assessment and any related discussions are completed in confidence.
Faculty members interested in a Peer Review should use this form to Request a Peer Review, and include the following information:
- The issue(s) they would like assistance with
- The day of the week and time their session occurs
- Any preferences regarding the person assigned to work with them
- Curriculum, Course, and Session Design
If you would like to have assistance with designing or revising a teaching session, course, block, or clerkship, the Center for Faculty Excellence is available to work with you.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and tutorials, visit our page on Session Design and Active Learning.
- Best Practices in Teaching & Learning
The CFE has many resources available to enhance your teaching skills.
- Teaching Tips - includes a series of one-page tip sheets for teaching situations many of our faculty encounter
- Session Design (including Active Learning)
- Teaching Remotely
- Developing effective pre-work/asynchronous content
- Virtual Faculty Connection - Recordings and materials from our VFC events. Topics include Teaching Online, Clinical Teaching, Technology Tools, Recording & Editing Video, Course & Session Design, and Productivity
- Applying Anti-racist Principles in Teaching
- Clinical Teaching
See our Clinical Teaching page for resources related to teaching in the Clinical environment
- Teaching with Technology
See our Educational Technology page for resources related to teaching with technology.
A variety of workshops are available for department meetings, grand rounds, or retreats. Please see the Workshops page for more details and information on how to request a workshop.
- CFE Learning Group - Online Modules
The CFE has a Learning Group in the Continuing Education in the Health Professions (CEHP) online course system. Online modules developed by the CFE are available to take as self-paced professional development and award CME credits.
Modules available include:
- Designing Effective Didactics
- Teaching on the Fly
- Feedback that Sticks
- Best Practices for Scientific Presentations
- Fostering a Psychologically Safe Clinical Learning Environment
- Part 1 Assessment of Clinical Learners - The Basics
- Teaching Essentials Series
The Teaching Essentials Series program is a series of one-hour workshops for scientists, clinicians, researchers, post-docs, and graduate students who want to learn more about key aspects of teaching and learning.
Each session has a brief online component (video and application activity) followed by a 1-hour virtual session to dig deeper and apply concepts.
Session topics include:
- Learning Objectives
- Designing Instruction
- Writing Questions
- Balancing Teaching, Research, & Service
Master Teacher Leadership Development Program
The Master Teacher Leadership Development Program to enhance the teaching and related leadership and scholarship skills of full-time faculty. This is a 9-month cohort-based, degree-bearing program meeting once a week. Follow the link to the website for detailed program and application information.