The GW SMHS Center for Faculty Excellence is offering a professional development program designed to help faculty meet their personal writing and scholarly career goals. The program is called the “SMHS Scholarly Writing Program” (formerly called the Writing Institute).
The SMHS Scholarly Writing Program follows a peer mentoring and coaching model that meets regularly for 6 months and culminates in the submission of peer-reviewed manuscripts. The program consists of a structured curriculum to include modules from the Coursera Writing in the Sciences Course and assigned readings and pre-work from a writing for publication text that will be provided to all participants.
The SMHS Scholarly Writing Program requires the completion/submission of an application in order to select a limited number of participants. Review the information below for more details.
Applications for the 2023 cohort are now closed, please check back in the future for the next cohort.
Please reach out to the SMHS Center for Faculty Excellence (email@example.com) with any questions about the SMHS Scholarly Writing Program.
- About the Program
This program aims to improve the scholarly writing and publishing productivity of SMHS faculty with minimal to moderate experience in writing for peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals.
Upon completion, program participants will be able to:
- Generate an effective and clear style of scientific writing.
- Develop the habit and skills of writing for lifelong scholarly productivity.
- Prepare a scientific article for submission to a peer-reviewed journal.
The program will be six months in length and will culminate in a submission-ready article for a peer-reviewed scientific or medical journal.
The program will begin January 2023 and will consist of:
- select online self-paced learning modules (from the Coursera Writing in the Sciences course) covering the mechanics of scientific writing, and
- small working groups (3-4 participants) focused on peer review of shared writing & support in learning/growing as a writer with guidance from coaches experienced in scientific writing and publishing.
Over the course of the six-month program, participants must:
- complete assigned modules covering the mechanics of scientific writing within Coursera Writing in the Sciences program
- attend small working groups. The peer groups will establish their own meeting schedule (at least monthly but can be more frequent) and format (e.g., in-person, online, or hybrid).
- participate in group and one-on-one coaching on writing (through the sharing of draft article with others) engage in the peer review process of writing by providing feedback on others’ draft articles apply feedback from peers and coach
- account for time spent writing
- meet set writing deadlines for article by posting drafts on a members-only website
- submit refined article to a peer-reviewed journal.
- Application Process
Applications are currently closed.